Some thoughts on Google Music

I've had the chance to use Google Music and the Music Store for a while now, and I'd like to share my thoughts on a feature of this launch that seems to be not getting the attention it deserves: Artist Hub.


For far too long, record labels have made the vast majority of money from CD sales, as they recoup costs of recording, promoting, and developing a band.  Now that these costs have dropped significantly (with Garage Band, MySpace Music, etc), you'd think that either bands would be making more, or the price of a CD would drop.  Neither has happened.  It seems to me, the biggest problem is that bands didn't have an easy way to get their music to a well known music store without a label who had brokered a deal with iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, etc.  

This has just changed.  

Now artists can take their music directly to the Google Music store, set a price, and keep 70% of the profits, no pesky record contract needed.  This is HUGE.  I am hopeful that more music stores will follow suit and make it easier for bands to remain independent, while still reaching a massive audience.

We all know it:  the music industry has been broken for years.  I think we might have just seen the first step towards its rebirth, with the artists in the drivers seat.  I'm really excited to see where this leads.  If you're a recording artist, I recommend checking out http://music.google.com/artists/ for yourself.  The industry might finally be changing for the better.  

In my opinion, this is the most exciting thing to happen to independent artists since YouTube.


Your thoughts?


Comments

Popular Posts