iMac HD upgrade

New project: Upgrade the wussy 300GB drive in our 24" iMac to a hefty 1.5TB.

What: After reading this page, I decided to give the DIY upgrade a shot. I ordered the drive and the suction cup thingy from amazon today.

Why: As much as my external HD's are suitable for storage, I am finding more and more that applications seem to want the data they manipulate to be on the startup drive (iTunes and iPhoto are examples of this). Having a 1.5TB should take me to the iMac's end of life, so for the money (140 bucks or so), it seems worth it to upgrade now.

When: Next week some time.

Considerations/preparations: I'm going to attempt to perform a Time Machine restore for the data migration, and it seems, from what I have read, that this should work well. I've never recovered from a sparsebundle, so I'm sure it will be interesting. This seems to be the kind of thing that Time Machine *should* be good at, so we'll see.

Look out for updates on this, coming soon...

/m/

Comments

Popular Posts