Identi.ca, Twitter, and a failed blog idea.

After years of holding out, I am now using Twitter.  For people who know me, this will probably come as a small to medium sized shock, since I have been known to be adamantly against the pointless updates that seemed to permeate Twitter (just had a sandwich, etc).  I caved after attempting to create a more substantial blog (slashthought.blogspot.com), and found that getting folks involved was a lot more difficult that I expected.  People seem to just not have time for a "full-flavor" blog.  That said, I still want to keep in touch with people who are in far away lands (like NY and Philly), and laugh when they post funny stuff.  So here I am.  My name's Matt and I have a Twitter account.

After deciding this, I searched for an open alternative to Twitter, and found the StatusNet project, which is a federated microblogging platform, allowing you to own, move, and host your own updates.  I love the idea of that, and settled on identi.ca as the site I would use for this.  Identi.ca offers Twitter integration, but it isn't complete (or what I expected).  You can push updates to Twitter, where all of my friends are, but you can't see the twitter stream.  Problem.

After exploring the mass of apps for Twitter and other social networks (Seesmic, Tweetdeck, ping.fm), I believe I have finally found a way to do what I am looking to do: see my Twitter friends, but also post all updates to identi.ca (on the off chance that it gains support) AND Twitter.  Here's the solution (if you're using an Android phone):


  • Download Twidroyd on the Android Market.
  • Set up your Twitter account as the default account on Twidroyd.
  • Sign up for an identi.ca account (if you don't have one).
  • Set up your identi.ca account to push updates to Twitter.
  • Add your identi.ca account to Twidroyd as well.
  • When you Tweet, use your identi.ca identity in Twidroyd (available as a dropdown), which will push all updates to Twitter (yes, even @ replies).
This doesn't help you on the desktop, just your mobile.  For the desktop, I found that Seesmic web is best.  There's nothing to download, and it works with Ping.Fm (most don't), which allows simultaneous updates to both Twitter and Identi.ca.  Hacky hacky hacky, I know.

So there you go.  If you're looking to microblog, and would like to support the open alternative as well as the closed, but much more popular one, that's how I managed to do it.  I would encourage anyone reading this who does not have an identi.ca account to create one, its free, easy, links to Twitter, and is federated, so there aren't any fail whales or ownership concerns.  It's the way it should be.  So if you're looking to follow me, I would much prefer you use identi.ca, but either way, you can find me @graymattr.


Comments

Kevin Hawkins said…
Thanks for writing this: you address exactly what I have been trying to figure out. But I'm confused: if you set Identi.ca to push updates to Twitter AND Seesmic allows simultaneous updates to Identi.ca and Twitter, won't you end up with two copies of every post sent from Seesmic in Twitter?
Matt said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt said…
On Android, use Twidroyd with identi.ca for publishing. Updates are pushed to twitter per my identi.ca preferences.

On seesmic, use a ping.fm account to publish to twitter and identi.ca. For some reason, this did not result in double posts for me, although you could always remove twitter from your ping.FM account if that happens.

To be honest, I've kind of abandoned identi.ca for the simplicity of twitter, and most recently Google+. I am loving Google+ so far.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

Matt
Kevin Hawkins said…
Seesmic Desktop still won't connect to Identi.ca, so I switched to Tweetdesk and am using http://rays20.blogspot.com/2010/06/how-to-set-up-tweetdeck-to-support-your.html in order to access my identi.ca account. So far, so good!
Matt said…
Glad to hear you got it working with Tweetdeck. I had to go through ping.fm to get seesmic working with Identi.ca

Since my post, I have started using Google+ as my primary sharing platform, and I am loving it. If you'd like an invite to check it out, let me know.

Popular Posts