Failure is definetely an option

Since my install of Ubuntu PPC on my G4 iBook, I have noticed a lot of quirks that seem to be related to the PPC distro. I cant get the firefox plugins I need, several of the applications I want wont run on it, and in general I am a bit disappointed. I had assumed that once I overcame the OS hurdle on the PPC, everything else would be transparent. No the case. I'm having trouble with compiz and emerald as well (which is one of the reasons I wanted to try Ubuntu on the iBook).

That said, I have read an article on OpenSUSE, which sounds promising (and for some reason is HUGE in Russia). They do have a PPC port, and I am considering giving it a shot, I'm just putting it off due to the amount of work required.

I'm going to be traveling next week and the following, so unless I pack 2 laptops with me (the iBook and my work laptop), I don't think there'll be an update here for a while. If something awesome happens, I'll be sure and post about it. My guess is that it wont be related to Ubuntu PPC on the iBook.

Comments

Unknown said…
Do you recommend installing the Ubuntu on the G5 desktop?

Popular Posts